- Category: Main Dish
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 teaspoon cumin (or more – we really like cumin!)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano (you can also use 1 tsp dried)
- 1 small red onion, chopped (I substituted a large shallot)
- 8 ounces ground lamb
- black pepper
- 1 pound spinach, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- yogurt, lemon juice, chives (optional)
- I made the rice in a rice cooker, doubling the recipe since we had a pound of ground lamb to use up. In hindsight I should have followed the directions, which are to make the rice in a saucepan, cover with water by about an inch, bring to a boil, cover and cook about 30-35 minutes or until it’s mostly done but still a little wet. I think the extra wetness would have helped the burgers stick together better. Since I made it in a rice cooker, it was fairly dry.
- Bittman says to make the spinach next, but I saved that for last since I like my greens freshly sauteed and not clumping together. Either way, they’re just sauteed in some olive oil along with a little garlic.
- To make the patties, mix up the rice, pepper, ground lamb, onion, oregano, cumin, and feta. I added some chopped chives as well. Form into 4 patties (8 if you’re doubling the recipe like I did). Fry them in a pan until the meat is cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.
- To serve, place a patty on top of a mound of spinach. Mix up a little sauce of yogurt, lemon juice, and fresh chopped chives if you like.