- Category: Main Dish
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 small sweet pepper (chopped)
- 2 cups of cooked black beans (I used one can)
- 1 ½ C chicken or vegetable broth
- ½ C uncooked rice
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- Add a little oil to a large frypan and saute the onion and sweet pepper over medium heat until softened.
- Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, and then simmer, covered, until the rice is done. It takes about 20 minutes for white rice—if you use brown rice it would take about 40 minutes.
- Serve without the bay leaf and with sprinkled cheese on top.