- 3 lbs beef bones
- 1 (2-3\") fresh ginger
- 2 star anise pods
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- Preheat oven to 425
- Place bones on a greased baking sheet and put in oven, bake until dark brown in color, about 35-40 minutes.
- Slice ginger into thin strips and place in slow cooker. Add star anise.
- When bones are finished cooking, let cool for 10-15 minutes. Add to slow cooker and add just enough water to cover.
- Add apple cider vinegar and allow to sit for 15-20 minutes.
- Add more water until the slow cooker is full. Set to low heat and cook for 36-48 hours.
- After 6-8 hours remove the meat if desired
- Add water as needed to cover the bones.
- Add cardamom during the last hour of cooking. Turn off heat and allow the slow cooker to cool for 1 hour.
- Remove the bones; carefully strain the broth into your storage containers. Allow to cool in the refrigerator overnight. The fat will add as a protective layer. Pop out with a knife when ready to use. Save the fat to render later.