This week’s Sunday Supper theme is World Vegetarian Day. While I am not vegetarian, I do try to do some meatless meals here and there. One of the favorites that I’ve tried over the years is Penne-Wise Pumpkin Pasta. Ironically, I came across the recipe when DH was deer hunting. There was a gorgeous hubbard squash (a small-ish one) sitting on the counter and I decided that I wanted to make something with squash. Nothing fussy, preferably something I could use as a main dish (for myself, and I don’t mind vegetarian). Rachel Ray to the rescue!
I know, I couldn’t believe it either. Of course, I had to adapt it since she used canned pumpkin puree in her original recipe. But it was the least fussy recipe I could find after searching for pumpkin pasta recipes.
I started by preheating the oven to 400F. Then I sliced into the squash. Oh my word, it smelled so delightfully orange! Not orange as in citrus, just . . . autumn orange. I placed it face-down on a cookie sheet and set the timer for an hour, but it was done in half an hour. I knew it was done when a fork pokes in the skin easily. Then I pureed the flesh in a food processor and proceeded with the original recipe.
Adapted from Rachel Ray’s recipe at the Food Network
The Verdict: I’m not sure if it’s because I used pumpkin puree instead of canned pumpkin, but the sauce really didn’t thicken much. The flavor, however, was spectacular! (Even with the tarragon instead of sage). If I were to make this again, I might use the sauce from the butternut squash lasagna recipe just mix in the pumpkin puree and serve it over noodles. One bonus of the very liquid sauce, though, is that the leftovers held up well – sometimes whole wheat noodles get overly dry.
More Vegetarian Recipes from #SundaySupper
- Citrus Marinated Olives by Cricket’s Confections
- Goat Cheese and Red Onion Quesadilla by The Freshman Cook
- Grilled Green Tomato and Mozzarella Salad by Monica’s Table
- Italian Lupini Beans by She Loves Biscotti
- Orange Ginger Carrot Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chocolate Orange Beet Cake by Baking Sense
- Chocolate Zucchini Cake by Mindy’s Cooking Obsession
- Make Your Children Eat Their Vegetables…in a Cupcake! by The Ninja Baker
- Zucchini Blueberry Coffee Cake by Pies and Plots
- Butternut Squash Zoodles with Fried Sage Sauce by Home Sweet Homestead
- Caprese Stuffed Roasted Eggplant by Sunday Supper Movement
- Cheesy Cauliflower Cake by Food Lust People Love
- Chipotle Tofu Tacos with Plantain by Caroline’s Cooking
- Glazed Carrot and Quinoa Salad with Crispy Chickpeas by Helpful Homemade
- Green Goddess Mac and Cheese by Moore or Less Cooking
- Mujaddara by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Penne-Wise Pumpkin Pasta by Wholistic Woman
- Pumpkin Gnocchi and Spinach with Sage Brown Butter Sauce by The Redhead Baker
- Radical Reuben Sandwich by Palatable Pastime
- Roasted Delicata Squash with Sriracha Aioli by The Hungry Goddess
- Roasted Vegetable Casserole by A Mind “Full”Mom
- Spicy Tofu and Rice Stir Fry by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Spinach Stuffed Pasta Shells by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Strawberry Soba Noodle Salad by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Vegan Creamy Butternut Squash Soup with Spinach by Cooking Chat
- Vegetarian Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Veggie Riggies: A Rigatoni Sauté by Hardly A Goddess
- Caramelized Onions and Cauliflower by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Cauliflower Tabbouleh with Chickpeas by Simple and Savory
- Cheesy Broccoli Cauliflower Rice by My Life Cookbook
- Locro de Papa (Ecuadorian Potato Soup) by Curious Cuisiniere
- South African Yellow Rice by What Smells So Good?
- Spiralized Sweet Potato and Apple Sauté with Dates by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Turmeric Hummus Casserole by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Join the 3 day clean eating challenge!
Clean eating doesn't have to be hard! Join us to discover just how easy it can be to feel better and get healthy.