Earlier this week I posted a recipe for green rice; today I’m posting a midwestern version of green rice for which I substituted quinoa.
I’m a huge fan of quinoa. It’s a protein powerhouse. So when I saw this recipe, I thought of all the herbs growing in my front yard and decided to give it a try.
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup onions, chopped (can use green onions)
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups chicken stock
- splash Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh chives
- Rinse quinoa if package does not indicate that it's already rinsed.
- In a large saucepan, saute the onions in the butter until soft. Add quinoa and stir to coat.
- Add chicken stock, Worcestershire, and garlic salt, stir, bring to a boil; cover, and simmer for 15 minutes or until the little coily things pop out.
- Let rest at least 5 minutes, then stir in the fresh herbs.
The Verdict: DH said, “Wow! I never had flavorful quinoa before!” Indeed, it was very flavorful and went great with the barbecued grilled chicken and asparagus that rounded out our dinner. I will definitely be making this again.