A few weeks ago, Limoneira asked if I would be willing to share a little about how lemons contribute to health. They sent me a box of lemons, all packaged in a gift box, and I realized how much lemons remind me of spring. So I decided that today’s challenge is to #AddJoy by adding a little lemon to your life!
Just the color makes me happy. The smell? Even better. And when I made lemon poppy seed muffins the other night, the taste was divine.
You can feel good about adding lemons to your diet, too!
Limoneira suggests consuming one lemon a day (juice or pulp) to jumpstart or refresh a healthy lifestyle. Adding a daily lemon can benefit health in the following ways:
- Naturally restore the body’s pH levels: Lemons are alkaline-forming in the body and aid in restoring balance in a body’s pH levels.
- Fight infections and colds: The high content of vitamin C in lemons work to fight and prevent colds and infections.
- Liver detox: In addition to flushing out toxins throughout the body, lemonswork to stimulate and detoxify the liver.
- Strengthen blood vessels: The bioflavonoid in lemons are handy for aiding in high blood pressure treatment because they can help strengthen blood vessels and prevent internal hemorrhage.
- Reduce inflammation and pain: A powerful and natural dissolvent of uric acid, lemons help to reduce pain and inflammation in the joints, helping to prevent inflammatory rheumatoid arthritis.
- Anti-aging benefit: The vitamin C in lemons helps it to neutralize free radicals, which are linked to aging and disease.
- Regulate digestion: Lemons can help regulate digestion by increasing the production of digestive juices.
- Potential anticancer properties: High in antioxidants, lemons are thought to protect cells from the formation of cancer cells and may also slow the growth of cancer cells.
- Lower cholesterol: Lemons are a good source of pectin, a soluble fiber that protects cardiovascular health.
- Prevent kidney stones: Consuming lemons can help raise citrate levels in urine, helping prevent the formation of future kidney stones, calcium deposits and gallstones.
“Lemons are among the healthiest and most accessible products people can buy from any market,” said John Carter, Limoneira’s Director of Global Sales. “That’s really the best part – lemons are so easy to integrate into everyday lifestyle.”
So, your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to have a lemon or take a photo of something lemon-colored.
Feeling extra motivated? Try one of these lemon-inspired recipes!