One of my favorite things about Christmas and New Year’s is taking time off to have a leisurely breakfast. And nothing reminds me of home more than pancakes! My Dad still makes us pancakes whenever we happen to be together on a family vacation or just want to spend time together. My nieces and nephews LOVE poppy’s pancakes!
Below are some of my favorite pancake and waffle recipes. During the holidays, I like to make some of the more “special” versions and serve with local maple syrup and thick cut bacon. Yum!
- Buckwheat Pancakes (simple, basic, with a great molasses flavor. My Dad used to make us a version of this before school every morning)
- Buckwheat Banana Pancakes with Strawberry Jam (this recipe came about because I ran out of whole wheat flour and had to some buckwheat . . . happy accident!)
- Hearty Oatmeal Pancakes (requires an overnight soak, and doesn’t use any flour!)
- Baking Mix (mix up some of this for busy mornings, lazy dinners, or as a gift idea. Makes biscuits or pancakes and can be used just like the boxed stuff)
- Cornmeal Wheat Pancakes (I’m a huge cornmeal fan, so of course I love these)
- Oat Bran Cranberry Pancakes (I’m allergic to cranberries so I had a guest blogger make these from Simply in Season when I was cooking through all the recipes. Would be an excellent Christmas morning breakfast!)
- (Vegetable or) Fruit Oven Pancake (this is a versatile recipe, I could see using cinnamon and either pears or apples this time of year)
- Gingerbread Waffles with Pear Sauce (one of my all time favorites, and the one pictured at the beginning of this post)
- Whole Wheat Waffles with Blueberry Sauce (includes a recipe for canning blueberry sauce, but any type of special jam or preserves would work)
- Apple Spice Waffles with Apple Topping (sensing a theme here? flavored waffles with a fruity sauce)
- Nutty Sweet Potato Waffles (this no-sugar added recipe was delicious, despite the improvising I had to do to make it!)
Do you have a favorite pancake or waffle recipe? Please share in the comments below!