This recipe from Extending the Table: A World Community Cookbook is a delicious way to get more greens into your diet. Add as much hot chili as you’d like to increase the spice!
- 1 large onion, chopped (I used a small onion plus the rest of the scallions I had in the frig)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp ginger root, finely chopped
- 2 tsp whole cumin seed
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 fresh hot chili pepper, chopped (I didn’t have one so I substituted a dash of red pepper flakes)
- 2 C red lentils, rinsed (I used whole green lentils)
- 5 C water
- 2 large potatoes, sliced (optional; I didn’t use because I didn’t have any. In hindsight I should have chopped up that kohlrabi that’s sitting in my frig)
- 1 bunch spinach, chopped (I substituted chard)
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped (I forgot this and didn’t miss it)
- rice or chapatis or something else starchy to eat it with. Or I guess you could eat it as a soup. I went with brown basmati rice.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add 3 Tbsp oil and brown the onion.
- Add the garlic and ginger root. Stir in the spices (careful not to burn!). Stir in the lentils and coat with the spice mixture.
- Add water, potatoes (if using), spinach/chard; bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for about 20-25 minutes or until the lentils are soft.
- Serve over rice.
More spicy recipes from #SundaySupper
- Buffalo Chicken Spring Rolls by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Cajun Shrimp Dip byCooking with Carlee
- Harissa Lamb Meatballs with Herbed Yogurt Dipping Sauce by The Hungry Goddess
- Jalapeno Cheddar Roasted Chickpeas by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Smoky Jalapeno Pineapple Salsa by Dash of Evans
- Spicy Apricot Chicken Meatballs by My Life Cookbook
- Spicy Jalapeno Chickpeas by Helpful Homemade
- Spicy Peach Chicken Wings by Eat, Drink and be Tracy
- Spicy Sugared Cashews by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chipotle Peanut Butter Cookies by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Cinnamon Rolls by The Freshman Cook
- Mexican Chocolate Pudding by Pies and Plots
- Peppercorn Shortbread by The Finer Cookie
- Spicy Fudge Brownies by The Chef Next Door
- Spicy Mexican Hot Chocolate Fudge by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Buffalo Chicken & Lentil Stuffed Peppers by Momma’s Meals
- Chicken Karahi (Pakistani Chicken Curry) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Chicken Stuffed Poblano Peppers by Feeding Big and more
- Chickpea, lentil and spinach curry by Caroline’s Cooking
- Devil’s Chicken by Monica’s Table
- East Indian Chard and Lentils by Wholistic Woman
- Fried Chicken with a Kick by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Grilled Chipotle Pork Chops by Cooking Chat
- Hella-peno Burger by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Jalapeno Popper Pizza by Hardly A Goddess
- Kung Pao Chicken by Palatable Pastime
- Lomo Saltado by Tramplingrose
- Spicy black bean burgers by Simple and Savory
- Spicy Penne all’arrabbiata by She Loves Biscotti
- Sweet & Spicy Pulled Pork Tacos by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Sweet Chili Pork by Cookin’ Mimi
- Tunisian Garlic Chickpea Soup by What Smells So Good?
- Baked Sriracha Sweet Potato Fries by Magnolia Days
- Easy to Make Cabbage Kimchi (MAK KIMCHI) by kimchi MOM
- Green Mango Sambal by Food Lust People Love
- Grilled Potato Salad with Spicy Picada Sauce by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Plus Homemade Ginger Ale and Spice is Nice Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.