One thing I’ve discovered is, simple sewing projects never are. It’s probably my skill level. But I found several tutorials online that claimed this was maybe an hour long project. I spent several hours on this! But, I’m very happy with the end product and with the help of my mom I was able to finish it.
- 1 yard of towel fabric. You can use an actual towel, but make sure it’s not too thick as you need to fold down the top to make an elastic casing and it can get really thick. I was basing my wrap on a microfiber one that I bought from Sierra Trading post on clearance several years ago, so I ended up buying some microfiber fabric. Pricey but I love it!
- 1 yard of cotton fabric for the trim. Again, you can do this economically or you can fall in love with an imported UK fabric like I did LOL.
- Thread to match the trim/towel fabric
- 20″ of no roll fabric, 1 1/2 inches or thereabouts
- 10″ of 1″ sew in elastic
The best tutorial I found online can be found here: http://www.sew4home.com/projects/bath-linens/mothers-day-spa-wrap
However, I made the following changes:
- I made the towel about twice as long so I could wrap it around nice and snug
- I omitted the straps, flower and ribbon as I was going for a less girly look
The most difficult thing was sewing on the binding evenly. I became really good friends with my seam ripper and finally went to my mom, who is a quilter, for help.
She was able to get it to go on evenly, but said it is tricky. So if you are not able to get it to go on straight, you may need to sew one side, then fold it over and sew again instead of trying to sew both sides on at once.
She also had a neat trick for the pocket but I didn’t get photos.
$35 and several hours later, I now have a spa wrap that I will use for the gym. I love it for carrying the shampoo bottle and it feels much nicer than the scratchy, too-small towels that the gym provides.
I could have bought one for less money and time than I spent on this. But, this is one of a kind, and I was able to spend time with my mom 🙂
Join the 3 day clean eating challenge!
Clean eating doesn't have to be hard! Join us to discover just how easy it can be to feel better and get healthy.