A super easy pasta sauce that you can either can or freeze.
FOR PRINTABLE VERSION CLICK HERE: Basic Tomato Sauce
Source: Simply in Season.
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 carrots (shredded)
- 1/2 green pepper (chopped)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley (chopped)
- 2 Tbs fresh basil (chopped; Note: If you don't have fresh herbs, use dried but cut the measurement in half)
- 1 Tbs fresh oregano (chopped)
- 1 Tbs fresh thyme (chopped)
- 6 cups plum tomatoes (peeled and chopped)
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 Tbs honey (I didn't use this)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Saute' onion and garlic in 2 T olive oil until soft.
- Add carrots, pepper, bay leaves, and herbs and stir well.
- Add remaining ingredients and season to taste. Simmer 15 minutes. Remove bay leaf and serve or freeze.
- To can, ladle into hot sterilized pint jars to within 1/2 inch of top, and add 1 T lemon juice or vinegar per pint. Seal with sterilized lids, and process full jars in boiling water bath for 35 minutes.
The Verdict: This is a marinara-style sauce that is relatively easy (it doesn’t take a TON of tomatoes or cooking time). The fresh herbs are heavenly.
Serving size: 1/9 of a recipe (6.5 ounces).
Percent daily values based on the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for a 2000 calorie diet.
Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients.
Amount Per Serving
Calories From Fat (7%) 4.6
% Daily Value
Total Fat 0.55g <1%
Saturated Fat 0.1g <1%
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 170.36mg 7%
Potassium 628.45mg 18%
Total Carbohydrates 15.21g 5%
Fiber 3.99g 16%
Protein 2.61g 5%