I get asked all the time if I find myself spending more money on groceries now that I’m trying to eat locally and in season. My answer is always no, because DH and I went out to eat A LOT before I started this project. However, I’m always looking for ways to save money. Here are 10 sites I found that provide excellent tips for saving money on real food:
- Save Money on Groceries – Mother Earth News. This article focuses mainly on buying in bulk and canning.
- Saving Money on “Real” Food – Frugal Living Northwest. This blogger actually made me rethink coupons. ME.
- Real Food on a Budget – actually, this links to THREE articles by my friend Donielle at Naturally Knocked Up. She shares some strategies on how to budget, especially when you’re buying food in multiple places, and how she prioritizes what “real” food to buy.
- Real Food for Less Money – OK, this isn’t ONE article either, but it’s a blog about a family that’s trying to eat real foods on a budget. She shares her menus and budgets.
- Saving Money While Eating a Whole Foods Diet…In a Small Community with Limited Options – Saving Naturally. You are really getting your money’s worth with this list! This blog just started a whole series about eating whole foods in a small town, or if you have limited options. I know I’m totally spoiled living in West Michigan. There are tons of CSAs, farmer’s markets, and more. This series promises to give tips for those who don’t have that many whole foods resources.
- Cook for Good – this is the mother lode. Linda provides complete menus, budgets, recipes, and techniques.
- 7 Ways to Save Money at the Farmer’s Market – this article on babble.com gives some excellent tips.
- 10 Tips to Save Money While Eating Healthy – Summer Tomato. These mostly apply to people like me who are comparing eating real food with going out to eat, but they’re still applicable for those new to eating locally.
- Average Grocery Spending and Ways to Save on Real Food – Modern Alternative Mama always has some great common sense wisdom!
- And, of course, don’t forget the Money guest post from the Food & Faith Challenge.
How about you? Any tips you’ve discovered?