My husband claims that since this has no meat in it, I cannot call it chili. Moreover, “chili” with beans is not chili, either. I’m not sure who makes up the rules, but this is called Vegetarian Chili in Simply in Season.
- 2 lbs dried beans (any combination, I used a “bean soup mix” that I’ve had in my cupboard forever)
- 1 C red sweet pepper (chopped)
- 1 C green pepper (chopped)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 8 C tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 Tbsp sugar, honey, or molasses
- 1 butternut squash (peeled, seeded, and cubed into 1/2 inch cubes)
- 1 jalapeno pepper (minced, seeds removed)
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Cook beans. I used the traditional method: soak overnight, rinse well in the morning, bring to a boil, then simmer for about an hour.
- In a large soup pot, saute’ the sweet peppers, onion, and garlic in a little oil.
- Add tomatoes, salt, and sweetener of choice and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and add the beans, squash, jalapeno pepper, chili, and cumin. Simmer for about 45 minutes.
The Verdict: I’m not really sure why the butternut squash is necessary, because I couldn’t really taste it, but it was pretty to look at. The chili had a great flavor, and because of the lentils in the bean soup mix, it almost seemed like there was ground beef in it. You’ll need to use a very large pot, and plan for leftovers. It’s a great weekend recipe so you can have lunches for the coming week. Oh, and this is one recipe where DH didn’t say “this would be great with chicken in it.” He said, “this would be great with chorizo in it.” Sigh, I never win. Although I DO love locally made chorizo from Creswick Farms.
Looking for more veggies as a main dish recipes? Check these out!
- Baked Eggplant Parmesan by The Crumby Cupcake
- Butternut Squash Kale Lasagna by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Butternut Squash Portobello Tacos with Garlic Sage Cream Sauce by Daily Dish Recipes
- Butternut Squash Risotto with Crème Fraîche and Fried Sage Leaves by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Easy Veggie Bake by Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Eggplant Rollatini by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Eggplant Rollatini by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Flourless Oatmeal Nutella Pumpkin Muffins by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Grandma Pizza with Dried Tomatoes by Get the Good Stuff!
- Greek Stuffed Baked Zucchini by The Weekend Gourmet
- Harissa-Roasted Vegetables with Couscous by Caroline’s Cooking
- Moroccan-style Lentil Chickpea Stew by Food Lust People Love
- Mushroom and Goat Cheese Tart by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Polenta with Aged Gouda, Chard & Wild Mushrooms by 30A Eats
- Portobello Stack by The Freshman Cook
- Pumpkin Cake Cheesecake by gotta get baked
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Brussels Sprouts with Pomegranate by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Roasted Potato and Spinach Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Shiitake Mushrooms with a Balsamic Glaze Over Polenta by Fearless Dining
- Stuffed Butternut Squash by Life Tastes Good
- Vegan Sandwich with Fresh Veggies by Healing Tomato
- Vegetable Pizza by Feeding Big and more
- Vegetable Strudel by Palatable Pastime
- Vegetarian Chili by Wholistic Woman
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.