- Serves: 6
- Category: Main Dish
- 1 cup wild rice (note: I used a wild/brown rice blend, as it was a LOT cheaper than just wild rice. I though it a fine substitute)
- 2 cups onion, chopped
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 2 cups sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups winter squash. peeled and cut in 1 inch pieces
- 2 cups parsnips, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 1 pound mushrooms, optional
- 1 cup apple juice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Rinse wild rice in cold water and strain. Boil gently in 4 C of water for 10 minutes. Drain.
- Sauté onion in 2 T of olive oil or butter. Add pearl barley and transfer to large casserole dish or 9x13 inch baking pan. Stir.
- Spread vegetables on top of grains; sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- Pour juice and broth on top, cover tightly with aluminum foil or lid, bake at 375F for 1 hour.