I’m not sure when the whole “bowl” thing became a trend, but I have to admit that I’ve come around to it. They are awfully handy! This week’s Sunday Supper theme is “Healthy Rice Bowls.” I decided to try a recipe I’ve had my eye on for quite awhile. I love quinoa, and a breakfast bowl hits all my favorite flavors with apple, cinnamon, and a few dates and almonds for added texture.
This recipe is adapted from the Complete Month of Meals Collection by the American Diabetes Association.
Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup chopped dried dates
- 1 cup apple, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 1 dash apple pie spice or cinnamon
- 1 splash milk optional
In a saucepan, bring quinoa and water to a boil. Cover and cook about 15 minutes.
Add remaining ingredients during the last five minutes of cooking.
Serve with milk if desired.
Healthy Rice Bowls
- Asian Cauliflower Rice and Shrimp Bowls by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Chicken Fajita Quinoa Bowl by Pies and Plots
- Chickpea Tikka Masala by What Smells So Good?
- Cuban Style Pork Taco Bowl by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Greek Cauliflower Rice Bowl (Low Carb) by My Life Cookbook
- Healthy Crockpot Pulled Beef Rice Bowl by Hardly A Goddess
- Mediterranean Chicken Black Rice Bowl by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Quinoa Breakfast Bowl by Wholistic Woman
- Taco Rice Bowl by Life Tastes Good
- Teriyaki Shrimp Rice Bowl with Bok Choy by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Tex Mex Caulirice Bowl by Our Good Life
- Thai Vegetable Quinoa Bowl by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Tuna Rice Bowl with Yum Yum Sauce by Sunday Supper Movement
- Vegetarian Bibimbap by Caroline’s Cooking
The Sunday Supper Movement is committed to bringing our readers delicious recipes that encourage them to gather and eat together around the family table. Search for your favorite ingredients on our Sunday Supper website. Also check out the Sunday Supper Pinterest boards for plenty more ideas and inspiration.