This week’s #SundaySupper theme is fresh tomatoes. Even though it will be months before we have fresh tomatoes here in Michigan, I thought I’d share one of my favorite recipes that is super easy and features lots of great flavors–including fresh tomatoes.
Never fear, if you can’t bear to purchase out of season tomatoes, canned works just as well 😉
This recipe is from one of my favorite cookbooks, Extending the Table: A World Community Cookbook.
Extending the Table is by the same publishers as Simply in Season (the cookbook that was the reason I started this blog!) The recipes are awesome but, like the other books in the trilogy, there are no photos and the recipes are written in a style which lists ingredients intermingled with the directions. But I still really like the cookbooks. Extending the Table focuses on international recipes and also includes stories about hunger around the world; sort of like Simply in Season only with a global perspective.
This recipe, Ground Beef Curry (Kima Curry), is submitted by a restaurant owner in Nairobi, Kenya. Usually dishes like this call for lamb or lentils, so I was eager to try it with ground beef.
Course: Main Course
Main Ingredient: Beef
- 1 C onions sliced
- 1 lb ground beef (or venison)
- 1 1?2 tsp curry powder
- 5 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 Tbsp ginger root crushed (or 1 tsp ground ginger)
- 3 medium tomatoes sliced
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1?2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp cilantro chopped
- 1?2 C water
- salt to taste
- rice quinoa, chapatis, or some other starch to serve it over
- Brown the beef together with the onions; skim fat.
- Add curry powder, garlic, ginger, and tomatoes; fry briefly; add tomatoes, cinnamon, and cilantro; stir.
- Add water and salt to taste, and cook 20 minutes over medium heat so that the flavors blend. Serve over rice.
The Verdict: I loved all the flavors, especially the fresh ginger and cinnamon. It brings such a new dimension to the humble ground beef. I have made these with fresh from the garden tomatoes and it was WONDERFUL. The flavors of the tomatoes really do make a big difference in this dish, so if you happen to get some out of season ones from the store that don’t have as much flavor, you’ll want to bump up the other seasonings. TIP: If you have ground venison, this will work extremely well as a substitute for the beef. All the flavors will help hide any gaminess.
Sunday Supper Recipes Using Fresh Tomatoes
- Caprese Chicken with Bacon by Family Around The Table
- Cheesy Caprese Pesto Chicken and Quinoa Casserole by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Easy Balsamic Chicken with Tomatoes by Life Tastes Good
- Grilled Chicken and Pasta with Grated Tomato Sauce by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Bronzed Tomato Spinach Cheddar Panini by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Ground Beef Curry by Wholistic Woman
- Lamb and Fresh Tomato Curry by Sunday Supper Movement
- One Pan Pork Chop Dinner with Tomatoes by Simple and Savory
- Tuna and Tomato Bento by Ninja Baker
Pizza, Pies, and Pastas
- Angel Hair Pomodoro by Healing Tomato
- Heirloom Tomato Tart by Authentically Candace
- Pressure Canned Homegrown Tomato Sauce by What Smells So Good?
- Savory Tomato Pie with Pre-Made Crust by The Foodie Affair
- Three Cheese Tomato Basil Pie by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Tomato and Caramelized Onions Galette by Brunch-n-Bites
- Tuscan Pasta with White Beans and Tomatoes by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Bacon Caprese Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms by Crazed Mom
- Bloody Mary Mix by Our Good Life
- Bruschetta di Pomodoro by The Freshman Cook
- Caprese Garlic Bread with Arugula Pesto by The Crumby Cupcake
- Slow Roasted Tomatoes by Caroline’s Cooking
- Tomato Cauliflower Rice by Family Foodie
- Tomato Tulips for a Veggie Platter by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Cheesy Thumbprint Cookies with Green Tomato Strawberry Jalapeno Jam by Soulfully Made
- How to Make Homemade Salsa by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- IPA (India Pale Ale) Green Tomato Pickles by Gourmet Everyday
- Italian Nachos by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Marinated Cherry Tomatoes with Cottage Cheese by Cricket’s Confections
- Tomatoes Stuffed with Apple-Walnut Salad Filling by Asian In America
- Tropical Fruit Salsa by Pies and Plots
Soups and Salads
- 10 Minute Greek Inspired Couscous Salad by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Burrata Caprese Salad with Balsamic Pearls by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cherry Tomato and Preserved Lemon Salad by Shockingly Delicious
- Cupboard Tomato Mozzarella Salad by Food Lust People Love
- Fresh Tomato and Couscous Salad by Basic N Delicious
- Fried Green Tomato BLT Salad by Palatable Pastime
- Rustic Dill Tomato Soup by Hot Eats and Cool Reads
- Summer Tomato and Bread Soup by Monica’s Table
- Tomato & Roasted Red Pepper Soup with Pimento Grilled Cheese by Bottom Left of the Mitten
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement