This is one of those recipes that is definitely not fancy, but it’s just perfect for a cold wintry evening. Sunday Supper is a great tradition, one that’s been in my family for generations. I remember fondly having comfort foods made by my Grandma when we were lucky enough to be invited for supper. My mom also used to cook a special Sunday dinner.
These days I don’t cook quite as elaborate of meals as my foremothers, but easy dishes like this are still comforting and healthy!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1/4 cup celery chopped
- 1/4 cup green pepper chopped
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp marjoram
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 2 cups canned tomatoes broken up
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup barley
Brown the ground beef, onion, celery, and green pepper in a large skillet. Drain off excess fat.
Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and cook for 35 minutes for quick cooking barley to an hour for pearl barley.
The Verdict: I’m so glad I froze my garden’s extra green peppers last summer. It’s nice to be able to pull them out of the freezer when needed for recipes such as this. For the chili sauce I used about a tablespoon of garlic/chili sauce. I don’t think I’ve had barley this way before, and I really liked the texture it provided. This is a great throw together dish.
National Sunday Supper Month
One reason I love to participate in the Sunday Supper link ups is because we are passionate about encouraging families to gather together around the family table. After all, families that eat together make lasting memories and grow closer by breaking bread and sharing stories. We would love for you to join us in our mission to bring back Sunday Supper by taking the Sunday Supper Month Pledge. Sunday Supper starts off as one day a week and soon becomes a way of life.
Sunday Supper Recipes
Super Sunday Entrees
- Beef-Barley Skillet by Wholistic Woman
- Braised Lamb Shanks by Caroline’s Cooking
- Breakfast Pizza by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Chicken Zucchini Pasta with Almond Pesto by April Golightly
- Creamy Lemon Pepper Chicken Spaghetti by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Best Ever Dutch Oven Braised Pot Roast Dinner by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Ground Beef Stroganoff Skillet Recipe by Sunday Supper Movement
- Lemon Ricotta Spaghetti with Peas by Cricket’s Confections
- One Pot Taco Pasta Skillet by Life Tastes Good
- Pan-Fried Scallops with Vegetables by Our Good Life
- Panko and Parmesan Crusted Pork Chops by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Pork Fingers by The Freshman Cook
- Shepherd’s Pie Potato Skins by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Skillet Chicken Parmesan by Hardly A Goddess
- Slow Cooker Irish Lamb Stew by Cooking Chat
- Spicy Shrimp Soup by Pies and Plots
- Turkey Fennel Skillet Dinner by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Sweet Sunday Desserts
- Bourbon Butterscotch Pudding by Baking Sense
- Dark Chocolate S’mores Crack by Wild Wild Whisk
- Homemade Chunky Monkey Ice Cream by Bites of Wellness
- Mocha Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Box Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Simple Cocoa-Spice Cake by A Little Fish in the Kitchen
The Sunday Supper Movement is committed to bringing our readers delicious recipes that encourage them to gather and eat together around the family table. Search for your favorite ingredients on our Sunday Supper website. Also check out the Sunday Supper Pinterest boards for plenty more ideas and inspiration.