Let’s see, this fall I’ve been to Chicago, Seattle, Pittsburgh, upper Michigan, Port Huron, and I’m headed to Boston right after Thanksgiving. Whew! I’m also looking forward to an international trip to Nigeria in January. In the words of Johnny Cash, “Of travel I’ve had my share, man!”
I’ve always loved to travel, and I’m blessed to have a job where I get to see a lot of the U.S. and also go overseas occasionally. Sometimes it gets a little tiresome. I miss my husband and daily routines. The house is severely neglected. But overall, it’s worth it.
If you’ve thought about going overseas, I wanted to let you know about two trips that are coming up with the organization for which I work. They are not missions trips, per se, but you will get to see God’s work in action.
Kenya: “We Have Faith” Environmental Expedition
A Journey of Discovery: a collaboration between World Renew and the CRCNA Office of Social Justice
- What does it mean to be a steward of creation?
- What does it mean to be a witness and a good neighbor?
- How do we respond to the challenge of climate change?
Environmental expeditions are journeys of discovery to experience first hand the evidence of climate change and hear eye-witness observations. To talk with Kenyans and explore the impact of climate change and together plan for a global future.
Number of Positions: Group of 8 people
Expected Length of Service: 13 days
Date Opportunity is Available: January 12 – 25, 2013
Purpose: Each participant brings a desire for a global future for their families, friends and neighbors. Together, discover answers to what it means to be a steward of creation in your church, community, country and world. Identify grassroots actions that will allow you to be a witness of God’s love for His creation.
Support Services Provided:
- Educational learning opportunities led by Cal DeWitt.
- Lodging and food.
- Transportation: airfare from an international hub (subject to change to reflect actual costs). All costs associated with travel in Kenya.
- Visa and park entry fees included in the itinerary.
- Financial support for Kenyan participation.
- Promotional flyer available here.
Financial Obligations of the Volunteer: $4,500.00. Costs are subject to change based on actual costs at time of the expedition.
For More Information and to Apply:
- Mary Dykstra at 1-800-552-7972 ext. 4162 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Uganda: HIV and AIDS Community Health Learning Tour
How does World Renew respond to AIDS?
- Helping families earn income despite their illness
- Supporting communities that care for children orphaned by AIDS
- Educating pastors and leaders about HIV and effective community care
- Providing community-based health care services to families in remote areas
- Teaching caregivers and people living with HIV and AIDS to manage their illness
- Finding ways to help people get access to anti-retroviral drugs
- Offering psychological and spiritual counseling
- Teaching about abstinence, faithfulness, and the holiness of the human body
- Providing seed for kitchen gardens to grow disease-fighting food and grains
- Combating stigma and discrimination against people living with HIV and AIDS
Why Discover Uganda in 2013?
You’ll see firsthand World Renew’s work in Uganda. You’ll meet local staff and volunteers on the ground, and visit communities where Christian congregations are caring for people living with AIDS and the loved ones they leave behind. In addition, you’ll visit markets and be stunned by the beauty of Africa’s savannahs and wildlife.
You’ll be informed, encouraged, and impassioned by the hope and joy you find.
When: July 20 – August 3, 2013
- Educational learning opportunities led by Nema Aluku.
- Lodging and food.
- Transportation: Airfare from an international hub (subject to change to reflect actual costs). All costs associated with ground travel in Uganda.
- Visa and entry fees included in the itinerary.
- Financial support for Ugandan partner staff participation.
Group Size: 6 people
Cost: $4,500.00 (Costs are subject to change based on actual costs of airfare at time of departure.)
If you have questions about the 2013 Discover Uganda Learning Tour, or would like to register, contact us!
Mary Dykstra at 1-800-552-7972 ext. 4162 or email@example.com
Disclosure: I did not receive financial compensation for this post, however I do work for World Renew.